Today... November 2

If you could, think back 3 years ago today.  What were you doing?

I was a happy girl.  I was thrilled to welcome to the world another niece.  Shaelynn Sue Kelly came into our world.  While the exact details I am not entirely sure of, (I do have a number of nieces and nephews, and their story's get mixed up, shoot, I mix up my kids stories!)  I am sure that my brother called me, thrilled to announce that Shaelynn had been born.  She was healthy and strong, and came fairly fast for a first baby.  I will tell you also, that I was so excited to meet this baby girl.  I just love meeting my siblings new babies, I love seeing how my siblings are so changed by a new bundle.  I was determined to get to see this new baby girl.  I packed up Fiona and Ruby, stopped by the Carters outlet, got her some sweet clothes, and headed to the hospital. Meeting Shaelynn, and watching my brother, and sister-in-law interact with her was so wonderful.  I knew that from the moment Andrew met her, that he was wrapped around her tiniest finger, and Samantha was beaming!   She was beautiful!

I want you to know that I have spent the better part of the day praying for my brother Andrew and sister (in-law) Samantha.  Praying for that peace that surpasses all understanding.  That love, that God continues to show.  I marvel at these things.  Shaelynn's short life was a blessing to us all.  What a girl!

Can I also say how proud I am of Drew and Samantha?  I am extremely blessed to call them family.  In these past few weeks, things have happened to make me realize something.  I became acutely aware that not all people deal with things as well as Drew and Sam.  There are situations that people see as suffering, and they may be suffering, but for me, it is how you deal with the trial.  I am proud to tell you that Drew and Sam have handled trial with grace, dignity, love, unity, patience, humility, and faith in Gods plan.  God has blessed them greatly by these things.  I see all of these things, as something else though... choice.  God chose to give Drew and Sam a trial,  tragically, when Shaelynn was diagnosed with cancer.  Drew and Sam were faced with a choice at that point, and for many points after that, the choice was, that they could whether this storm by wallowing in their pain, by complaining, by choosing to be angry at God. They could have also chosen any other number of other destructive behaviors.  Did they struggle in this trial?  I am sure that they did.  They are human, and they love that girl desperately.  The thing is, that when they faltered, they came back to what they knew.  God is sovereign,  God is love, God is Shaelynn's Father.  He gave her to them to love and treasure. Do you know how many people were encouraged by their response?  Do you know how many unsaved people saw how they dealt with the trial, and watched in wonder?  What a way to witness!  How many of you read the carepages, and were encouraged?  I will tell you that God was working through lives.  God has also changed many lives, including mine.  

I am grateful for a God who loves.  A God who gives us trial, so that we may be spiritually sharpened, a God who promises to take care of us. A God who gives us the opportunity to choose.  A God who has taken care of Shaelynn is His way.  What better could we ask?   

I would like to challenge all of you.  All of you who are undergoing trial at this moment, all of you who are at a place where things are going well.  I would ask you to examine yourselves. How are you choosing to live this life that God gives?  Are you wallowing?  Are you praying? Are you seeking to discover just how God is working in your lives in this moment?  Are you willing to humbly deal with trial?  I see that our God is an amazing God who gives us free will. He allows us to have trial.  He desires us to be sharpened.  He wants you to choose dependance upon HIM!  

I will close this blog entry by telling you some sweet things about Shaelynn on this day that would have been her 3rd Birthday.
Shaelynn Sue Kelly loved to ride her Daddy's 4 wheeler.  She also loved to ride in his truck. Every time she got out of their vehicle at their house, she would yell "Hi" to Sadie, her dog. She would sing and dance to "Cash"  (Johnny, that is)  She would chant "Ruby, Ruby, Ruby"  just like in the movie "Rudy"  She called her twin cousins Keaton and Kohl, "KeatKohl"  She loved her "Strawbaby Milk" (strawberry milk)  She had big brown eyes, with long eyelashes.  Sweet blond hair.   The place that she found the greatest comfort on earth was her Momma's lap.  She was a proud big sister.  

Love and miss you Shaelynn!




Comments

Brought me to tears. Love and miss that sweet girl. ♥
Unknown said…
I have been meaning to comment on this post forever! I just wanted you to know that I am praying for all of you. I really, really am.

I wish there were more I could say.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts