My sweet husband Ben


Well, it's a beautiful day here is good ol Iowa.  The thing about today, is that it happens to be my wonderful husband's birthday.  Yes... for the next 5 wonderful months, he will be as old as I am.   5 months without hearing about how old I am.  Nice.
So Ben is 32 today.  When Ben was born, it is said that his Mom said 2 things.  1. I am glad we got that intern out of the hallway to catch him! (thanks Mary Anne!  she delivered Jonah too)  and 2. Oh look.  The paint wasn't dry.  (Ben has real funky toes)  Anyway, he entered this world and brought much joy to his parents, anxiety to his older sister Johanna, but joy to his parents.  
Some facts about Ben.
1.  He loves to tinker.  He can take about anything mechanical apart, and put it back together.  I knew that he was exceptional in this area when my Dad asked Ben to fix his push mower! (this was HUGE for my Dad to do)
2.  He has brown hair, but a reddish goatee.  Ohh!  He is so handsome!
3.  Ben loves our dog, but the dog, unfortunately hates him!
4.  Ben is fairly competitive.  Ask his fantasy football pals!
5.  Ben loves pumpkin pie, and raspberries.  When he was little he would sit in the middle of his Grandparents thorny raspberry bushes and eat to his hearts content.  I have so far made him pumpkin pie, from a REAL pumpkin, (applause please... it took forever) Raspberry jelly, (which also took forever), and a yearly raspberry or gooseberry something.
6.  Ben is a servant.  He would do just about anything, for anyone, anytime, anywhere.
7.  Ben is an awesome Dad.  He is incredibly patient.  He does not hesitate to let any of our kids "work" with him.  He is more than willing to let them attempt their own project, even if it involves paint or mud. (much to my chagrin)
8.  Ben is sweet with words.  I won't go into the details, but he writes some of the sweetest notes.
9.  When Ben was a kid, he was an excellent soccer player.  He even made the Cedar Rapids traveling team, but decided against it when his buddies did not make it.  Did I mention he is a great friend?
10.  Ben is a human garbage disposal.  The guy will eat anything!  He loves liver and onions which I, regretfully, will not make for him.
11.  His Grandma calls him Benny.  Don't try this.... only his Grandma is allowed.
12.  Ben's Dad has white hair, and Ben is getting a few of them....
13.  Ben is a great wood worker.
14.  Ben is even better at concrete... unfortunately.  "I've poured more concrete than you have walked on"
15.  Ben LOVES his ipod, and his Mac computer.  "Once you go MAC, you never go back."
16.  Ben has 5 sisters and one brother.  He can tell you how old they are (or close to it), but can not tell you when their birthday's are.  He mixes them all up.
17.  He fell off a roof when Jonah was 2, and rode in an ambulance.  15 foot fall!  Can't remember a thing!
18.  He loves his job.  And coffee.
19.  Ben is now a snappy dresser.  (note that his wife got rid of all tube socks, any sandal that could be worn with a sock, all tapered leg jeans, any clothing that still fit from high school, and yes he still fits in that stuff, and the swim trunks that he bought himself.)  He is cute!
20.  Ben is obviously in love with his wife.  Yep!  That's me!

Ben is a wonderful husband, and I am happy and honored to celebrate his 32nd birthday with him.  I sure love you honey!

Comments

Peggy said…
First of all I must tell you that I love the playlist on your blog. I pull it up to listen to anytime I am sitting at my desk working.

Second, about Ben being handy, my favorite was the day that he decided to build a stage. I don't know anyone else who just decided to and then does build things like that.

And thrid, one of my favorite jokes about Ben is when we (camp staff) were trying to guess if we could get permission to do something and we would say to ask Ben and to tell him it was for the children because he would do anything for the kids.
Mindy said…
I hope Ben reads your blog! What a sweet tribute.
Unknown said…
I have always loved the name Ben, and it's because of your Ben! When I first came to Wash, he would always have a friendly smile for me in the hallways. ALWAYS smiling, always so kind. You could just tell he had a heart of gold!

Anyway, this was so sweet. If he doesn't read your blog, he should start. :)

P.S. I ADORE your kiddos' names!
Unknown said…
p.s. was it Mary Anne Nelson? How fun is that, that she delivered 2 generations!
Sarah said…
It certainly was Mary-Anne Nelson! Love that lady.
I love that you know my Ben! Small world! He does have a heart of gold.
And he was so cute in high school!
Brenda Rae said…
Jason said that your post was sweet - I agree - and it made him want to marry Ben!

Popular Posts