My Dad.
















My Dad was the Dean at East Iowa Bible Camp Family Camp for many years. This picture was taken in August of 2002. His last year at Camp.

Today is one of those days. July 10, 2003 My Dad met his Heavenly Father. I am certain of few things in this life, but one thing I am certain of is that had to be a sweet moment for my Dad.
He was passionate about several things in this life.
1. His relationship with his Heavenly Father
2. My Mom
3. His 5 Children and their families
4. Winning others for the Kingdom
I can tell you in all honesty that I knew how he felt about His Saviour, my Mom, and our family, I also knew how he felt about witnessing to others. Sadly the #4 on the list embarrassed me. I can remember thinking to myself how humiliating it was to me to be around my Dad when he invited people to church, or just strike up a conversation with anyone, and I mean anyone just to start a relationship so that he could witness to them. The man seriously knew no stranger.
I am so ashamed to say that. I look back at those times, and think, "How on earth could I be embarrassed?"
I am however proud to say that I am Mike Kelly's daughter.
I am extremely proud to admit that my Dad personally witnessed to more people than most, and truthfully I will never comprehend just how many until I see Heaven.
I am proud to say that my Dad was proud with my choice of a spouse, especially considering he and my Mom prayed about it since before I was born.
I am overjoyed to tell you that my Dad loved his Grandchildren so very much and counted each moment with them a treasure.
I will tell you that my Dad's passion for East Iowa Bible Camp, the place that I call home, is being carried on by my husband, who serves this place with a happy and willing heart for this ministry, as well as my Brother, my Brother-in-Law, and my Grandfather who serve on the Board of Directors.
I am also proud to tell you that while 6 years ago, I could not say with certainty that I understood God's decision, I can fully tell you today that my understanding has grown and that I can see that God was in fact working in me when he took Dad. He was softening my heart, Growing me up, and preparing me for whatever life would sling at me. I am prepared to battle daily for my kids, as my Dad did. I am ready to stand on my own 2 feet and seek God. I joyfully take on the challenge of witnessing to others. Nervous but willing.
I will leave this blog entry with a few fun tidbits of the man who was Mike Kelly. Lovingly remembered every day.

My Dad loved babies. Not only his own, but any baby. And oddly enough he could calm down almost any baby he held.
My Dad's hands were freckled. And he always had callouses, never soft hands.
My Dad made us work on Labor Day. "Why do you think they call it Labor Day?"
My Dad could envision almost any project. Mom would typically be nervous, but just trusted that his project would work.
My Dad made us rub his feet. There was never a time in my life that I can remember not rubbing his feet. All 5 of us would get a turn. By the way. He had jungle rot, which rather negatively affected his feet.
My Dad was an EXCELLENT mushroom hunter.
My Dad had the best crook in his arm to snuggle in.
My Dad was a proud Vietnam Veteran and Seabee.
My Dad loved my Mom dearly.
My Dad had a secret soft spot for animals. We would often catch him holding and talking to kittens, and dogs. He had a gruff exterior with pets, but really loved them.
My Dad loved to watch Antiques Roadshow, M*A*S*H reruns, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Vanna, any and all football, and Hawkeye Wrestling.
My Dad's right hand guy was "Stoney"
My Dad could stroll through any grass, stop and pick a 4-leaf clover. No kidding!
My Dad would pray as he drove his Wal*Mart truck. He prayed for so many people.
My Dad was proud of his family heritage.
My Dad would be excited about the funniest things. Like when my Mom would clean out the fridge. Or when she would put up strawberry jam, green beans of tomato juice. He loved to be home on the day that we froze corn.
My Dad loved auctions, and a great deal. Often he would come home with something with no great purpose, "But it was a deal"

On July 10, 2003 I was driving to Mt. Pleasant to run some errands. On the way there we passed a Wal*Mart truck and Jonah yelled "Was that Grandpa Mike?" I looked at the clock and said "Well, it might be. It's about the time he usually drives by here. Let's call him and see if it was him" So I called him, and sure enough it was him we passed. We spoke for a few minutes. He sounded like something was on his mind, and I told him I loved him and would see him soon, and Jonah yelled his love from the back seat. He said "Love you too" and hung up. Little did I know that was the last time we would speak. I am so glad I have that memory. I am so blessed to have a wonderful Dad. One who loved me flaws and all and prayed for me and my family. I will never forget that time. I will never let go of the memories, and I will continue to tell my kids of their Grandpa Mike.


I love you Dad.
Your Big Brown Eyes, Sarah

Comments

Gram Jule said…
Sarah~what can I say? This blog was perfect-you know your Dad so well. I love you, and I'm praying for you. Coffee tonight?
Nana Mama said…
Sarah, Thank you for sharing your tribute to your dad with us today. I too lost mine when I only 27... we live to make them proud. You were "Brown Eyed Girl" I was "Pride and Joy". Keep writing....
Anonymous said…
I went to facebook and saw you had a blog. When I saw you had written about your dad, I decided to read it. I'm sitting here with tears running down my face because your dad was truly everything you wrote about and more. We only were allowed to know your dad a short 11 1/2 years, but special none the less. Did you know, your family was one of the first that made us feel welcome when we moved to IA. We still have our Terry Redlin print that he wanted us to have and everytime I look at it, I think of the Mike Kelly family. You are all still very dear to us and always will be. It was so much fun to be with so many of you this past Spring at your home. You are one special lady and you have a wonderful husband and great kids. I'm also so so so thankful our Sarah has found another wonderful Sarah to be friends with. Love you tons.

Popular Posts