Fun Fall Times

I love fall. It is such a pretty season. So many things happen in fall. Here at Camp, we have retreats and such going on. The kids get to go to the pumpkin patch with school. I went with Fiona's class last week to a wonderful pumpkin farm in Grinell. The farmers are working so hard getting their crops out of the fields. Having to put a jacket on to go out and play is a nice treat from the heat. Football. Playing in the falling leaves. The changing colors. Having chili for the first time. Apples, and apple cider. Pumpkin Bars, pie, and other pumpkin delights. Ben and Fiona's birthdays. Ben's is tomorrow. (any gift ideas?) Hayrack rides. All of these things make me look forward to fall. I love Fall.

So we have had a lot of these things happen this year already. We had a retreat this past weekend, we went to the pumpkin patch, farmers are picking, we have had chili and pumpkin bars, and last night was our first hayride. The local churches gather together every year for a hayride/chili dump. Our first hayride, ahh, the excitement of that. The joy in your children's eyes. The rain...rain you say? Yes..the rain. Everyone arrived here at camp around 5:30. The clouds were dark and billowing. I cautiously asked, "are we sure it is not going to rain?" No, it is not supposed to rain. The weather map shows nothing. OK. I can accept that, especially since my kids are so excited. We all climb aboard. My kids are so happy! Doing some jumping up and down, chewing on hay like a farmer, the light in their eyes was priceless. We begin to move. Oh this is so fun! I love the put-put of the old tractors. We had a line of 4 tractors, all put-putting. About half way through the ride we start to feel sprinkles. I can take sprinkles. Lillian can take sprinkles. The sprinkles turn to fat drops. Fat drops, OK, I can take fat drops, I will protect Lillian from the fat drops. OK. Our tractor driver begins to speed up. Fat drops stinging the face now, mixed with mud from the tractor tires. Fat drops don't last as long as I hoped. Fat drops turned quickly to all out downpour. Yes....I said, downpour. We are flying down the road now as fast as our old put-put tractor would go. Trying to keep Fiona from bouncing off, while trying in vain to keep Lillian somewhat protected. Luckily there is a farm ahead. I have no idea who lives here. We all jump off the hayrack, and run into the machine shed. Soaked. Soaked more than I ever have in my life. My jeans were actually dripping. My shirt was unfortunately clinging. My hair was filled with mud and dripping. Wild hair. Lillian does not know what to do. Cry or just look stunned. She did both. Poor baby. All of the kids shivered. I just have to laugh. Laughter is the only thing you can do in this situation.
One of our tractor drivers drive the DR-M school bus. We were fairly close to the school, so he drove back and got a school bus. We filled the thing to capacity. Fiona, being the big school girl she is said to Ben, "Dad! you can't have you knee in the aisle!" as she smacked his leg to get back in the seat. A seat with 4 of us in it. Too funny!
We all got back to the camp and had our chili. We were all dripping. We were all laughing. This was the end of our weekend.

Laugh with me please.
Sarah

Comments

Sarah, You are a great story teller! I can hear the put-put of the tractor and feel the soaking rain! I love fall too!
Brenda Rae said…
didn't rain here just yucky humidity! we want a hayride for Drew's birthday - ya think it will rain or be too cold by the 27th???

Popular Posts