My bathroom woes.

Lets talk.  Lets talk bathroom talk.  Yes... I know.  Gross.  As my Dad would say, "If you want to talk bathroom talk, go to the bathroom and talk bathroom talk."  Well Dad, I am going there.

I really hate my bathroom.  It is bland and boring, and frankly, I don't know that I want it to be anything else right now.  I have often heard that your bathroom should be a sanctuary.  It should be as well outfitted as any other room in your home.  Decorative baskets, pretty organization, nothing out on the counter unless its pretty, a spa-like, serene setting.  Lets face it... my bathroom is anything but all of those things.  My bathroom has several purposes:
1. Obviously, to use the toilet.  Sorry, there is not discreet way to say it.  
2. To shower or bathe.
3. To beautify yourself, or your children.
4. Laundry hamper.  (I need a huge one)
These are the basic foundations for our bathroom.  You must realize, our family of 7 makes this room a hub of activity in our home.  It is nearly as busy as our toy room! You may be asking, don't they have another bathroom?  To which I will answer yes... sort of.  We have another one in the basement.  When we moved in it was dubbed the "boys bathroom"  however, it rarely gets used by the boys, and truthfully, my girls can't seem to hold it long enough to go down the steps.  Currently though, the toilet is broken.  I am guessing when my girls are 18, 16, 14, and 12, the boys bathroom will be back in use.  AHHH!  That freaks me out to even type that!  Anyway...I have a problem with our bathroom.
Not only is it boring and bland, it is terribly abused.  As I was tidying my bathroom yesterday, I realized that we had gone through 4 rolls of Charmain in a 24 hour period.  4 rolls!  Charmain!  Understand that I have a 2 year old that thinks that unrolling the TP is an Olympic sport, but even still, what she doesn't wad up and play with in the toilet (you heard me, she's bored with all the kids at school)  I fold and lay on the back of the toilet for use.  I use it, I make Ben use it, but still 4 rolls!  We are not talking the regular rolls, not the Mega, but the big rolls!  I can't believe that we have not had a back up!  
By show of hands, or feedback, who all had the famous lecture from you parents when you were 6?  You know the one where they take you in the bathroom, and show you the 4 squares of TP that you are supposed to use.  "You don't need any more than 4 squares Sarah, if you use more than 4 squares, you did not do it right.  Fold your 4 squares, so it covers your hand and wipe!"  I remember this conversation with my Dad. Funnily enough I also remember the time when my brother *(sparing him the embarrassment you will have to guess which brother) failed.  We were eating supper,* (* always had to use the restroom during the meal) came back from the bathroom with a trail of TP stuck to his shoe.  My Dad, being ever thorough, took my brother back to the bathroom and took the opportunity to again explain the 4 square rule.  I think that it is time to have this chat with my kids.  Bummer!
Also while cleaning my bathroom, I realized that I am now in love with the clorox wipe. I just bought my first case of them.  Gasp!  I know.  I still am not sure if I love the idea of sanitizing every aspect of my kids life, but for now, it is easy.  I still like the old washcloth, elbow grease standby.  It will always live here.  I did however get rid of the old toilet brush.  I updated to a fancy gadget that I have enjoyed using!  
To go along with the abuse of my bathroom, you have to go through the whole laundry perspective with me.  I have spoken of this before, I have a lot of laundry. Even with doing loads every day, it piles up on me.  In some regards I have gotten lazy.  I don't always have a load of towels now.  Sometimes I put the towels in with the jeans, or the colors, or in any other load.  One or two towels in a load of others cuts down a little bit.  I am not sure why I have always done towels separately.  Anyone who has a great reason, let me know.  I can always go back.  It does not help that I have just a laundry closet.  I am forever sorting piles in the bathroom.  My poor bathroom.  My laundry closet in also in the hallway.  Not much room to maneuver clothes for 7 people.  Not only 7 peoples clothes, but we have work clothes, football clothes, play clothes, school clothes, and Ruby's obsession with changing her undies.  Not to mention playing dress up with Lydia's dresses, or any amount of other clothes they find.  That is just depressing to me.  Bleeech!  How is it that people keep up?
So we have gone over 2 of my 4 bathroom problems.  The other 2 you can guess. Shower and bathe... how long should it take the bathroom rug to dry after 4 girls take a bath?  Should it take 24-36 hours?  Nope.  Should your bathroom rug be have sunburn from hanging out until it dries?  Nope.  Mine does.  It has a bleached spot on it from being out in the sun.  
Beautify self and children.  I seriously have enough hair on my bathroom floor from fixing 4 little girls hair, and my own, to make about a dozen birds nest in the spring. Those little birds would be warm and happy!
And so you have had the bathroom talk.  It was not pretty, you have probably changed you opinions of this Mom, but hey I am being truthful.  
My plan is to paint my bland, boring, bathroom, and  buy a nice shower for it,  and pray that in the future will be a bit brighter for this room in our home.  
Sarah 





Comments

Anonymous said…
I love reading these. It brightens my day. And my Mom and Dad said that 3 squares was enough. If fact I remember a wedding shower where they do the toilet paper veil. And Mom even looked at me then and said, "Only 3 squares, Megan" I couldn't even use more then. Haha. I find myself doing that with Addison now. Crazy how things come around to bite you in the butt. Hehe.
-Megan Hulett
Brenda Rae said…
Hey I have a friend that enlightened me to Tide cold water - she washes each kids clothes in one load in cold and puts it back in their basket. I have gone to this method of no sorting and it is saving me time. I have no odd colored clothes - but still do my delicates separate. Just an idea for time and space saving.

you do make me smile!!!
Sorting? What is this sorting you speak of? I love the 'real Sarah' - bathroom talk and all. My Dad told me the other day that he didn't think I should "hang all my dirty underwear out there for all to see!" :-)

Popular Posts