The Month of Mush.... Love my Lover.

In keeping with the Month of Mush theme we have going on here... (we meaning Shaina and I) by the way, any of you are welcome to join... I will blog again today, since I referenced a story in my last post that I need to expound on.  Here goes:

So, I was a bit hesitant when Ben proposed to me, and that is for a good reason.  Ben is known for being a good sport, and in general a very gracious gentleman.  He however tends to occasionally get caught up in "things" or "ideas" that appear to be funny, or smart, but in all actuality not great.  The prime example happened in October 1995. Our relationship had been wonderful, and fairly new at the time, but we knew that we were MFEO.  (made for each other... Sleepless in Seattle people)  Ben had come down for a particularly busy weekend.  The Hayride weekend.  If you know my family well, you know what I am talking about.  If not, I will explain a bit.  The first weekend in October, my family hosts a all church Hayride/Chili dump. Typical Iowa, but a very fun time.  This was Ben's 1st hayride, and the prep for the weekend had been a bit on the crazed side.  My brother Andrew had a "brilliant" idea, that Ben decided would be fun.  **Note: the aforementioned "things" or "ideas"** Here is what he did.

He took my hand as I was helping my Mom, and walked me into the Family Room, which had a blazing fire in the huge stone fireplace.  I will admit, it was a bit romantic. He sat me down on the hearth, and proceeded to go to one knee.  Well, as you could imagine, I was shocked, and excited.  My heart was racing, and my knees were weak as he pulled out a small black velvet box..... you know the one.  He did not utter a word, just looked in my eyes and slowly opened the box.  My breath was taken away as I looked down, expecting something wondrous..... 






A marble rolled out of the tiny box, and bounced on the floor next to my foot.  

You can imagine my reaction.  Tears, punching, laughing, and anger.  Yep... had them all.  Needless to say, he blamed Drew, and I was disgusted with both of them.  I quickly forgave he, when he gave me his "Oh no, I am realllly sorry" look.  I however will never let him forget that story, nor will he ever let me forget that story. Apparently,  the "purpose" was to keep me on my toes, which is why in August of 1996, I was not totally sure how to respond to the actual proposal.  I think he felt bad, but, honestly, what would he expect?

Love my Lover!!  I really do.

Comments

Ah! Ben Berberich! That is not funny! (Andrew - you're mean too!) Poor Sarah. Good thing it worked out!

What a stinker!
Samantha said…
Seriously Andrew?? That is naughty!!!
Mindy said…
That sounds like something MY husband would think was funny!

Popular Posts