Love my Lover

Mister Linky business going on here from Shaina

This is a story of a girl who fell in love.

Growing up, my summers consisted of few things.  Running, hiking, swimming, biking, etc.... 
One consistent thing for each summer, was a week at East Iowa Bible Camp.  In 1993 I became a member of the EIBC kitchen staff, and for the next 2 summers I would return to the camp kitchen to cook up many wondrous things for the sweet campers.  I returned for what I knew to be my last summer in 1995.  I arrived at camp a few days early so I could spend some time with my friend Brenda, and to prepare for some staff training.  I went to the kitchen the next morning to get some breakfast before I started the day, and there in the kitchen was a face that I had never seen before.  A boy wearing a ripped out St. Louis Cardinals hat, Adidas flip flops, mesh shorts and a old basketball jersey.  I then introduced myself to a Ben Berberich, and enjoyed a bowl of Cinnamon Life with him.  I found out that Ben was to be our maintenance man for the summer.  He seemed nice enough, and I thought that he was pretty cute, and that even though I was dating someone already, a bit of nicety (flirting) wouldn't hurt.  

Well, we had a great summer.  Ben and I became close friends.  I was still dating Mr. "X" in the brown car (seriously what my Dad called old boyfriend) but was having some reservations about where our relationship was going.  I broke up with Mr. X  in the brown car 2 weeks before camp was over.  Best decision I made that summer.

The last few days of camp were approaching, and after a particularly long day in which I was very frustrated, Ben asked me to go to town with him.  On the way to town we were friends. We went to the Truck stop for pie, coffee, and a 2 1/2 hour chat and when we left that truck stop something was different. We had been friends all summer, and now there was definitely something more going on.  I remember that we took my car, well because it was much cooler than his, we just hopped in and left.  When we left the truck stop, he held the door for me. Seriously.  The switch flipped like that!

Fast forward, a year of every other weekend, 2-3 letters a week, and Tuesday/Thursday phone calls, to East Iowa Bible Camp Family camp week.  We met early on August 13, to do a morning devotion on the deck overlooking the camp, and a gorgeous Iowa morning.  We start in Matthew, reading the Beatitudes.  Someone decides to join us on the deck, and Ben makes us move to the other side of the deck, and with my Father watching us Ben shakily goes to one knee, and asks me to marry him.  Shivers!  I, for good reason (which I will blog about later) did not look at the box and asked him if he was serious.  He was indeed serious and I just hugged the man.  And kissed him.  And hugged more.  

Fast forward another nearly 10 years... We move to Camp to minister full time here.  That people, is a full circle story.


I love my husband, and will join Shaina in making February the Month of Mush.  I love mushy stories.  They make me happy.

Comments

aww! Yeah for Ben + Sarah! AND Hooray for the Month of Mush!! It was good to see you today, and I hope we get to hang out soon. :-)
Chad Pearce said…
Sarah I love it. And just so you know Shaina isn't the only one who reads your blog. I read it from time to time also.

Chad
Anonymous said…
awww...I read it too!
Love ya, Libby

Popular Posts