Spring


Looking down into my Iris'



Lilac's

I love spring. The flowers amaze me. I love being artistic with taking pictures of them. It really is a wonderful time of year. I must say, as I mentioned last year, that peony's are my favorite! I have 2 bouquet's in my house right now, and they just fill the air! Also, I love that they are an old fashioned flower. As you drive around rural Iowa, you will see peony's dotting the landscape of the old farmhouses. You see gardens that are outlined with peony bushes, iris, sedum, rhubarb, and the start of daisy's, black eyes susan's, zinnia's, and many other plants that these farm ladies still enjoy after many years of gardening. I marvel at their abilities, knowledge, and excitement for every spring. These women harvest, can, freeze, and savor their gardens. A lost art, really.
I have Rhubarb. I encourage you to find someone who has some, or go to Hy-Vee and buy some. Rhubarb crisp is the BEST spring dessert! Plus, it impresses everyone who eats it. My husband is proud and happy every year when I pull out the Rhubarb. He loves it! I still like to impress Ben.

We have staff training this week. This year's staff seem to be great! They are getting along really well, and they are all very nice. I know that any year that is dotted with transition is difficult, but with much prayer, they will have a AWESOME summer. (sorry... only GOD is awesome Heehee) Some of you will get that.
I face my own reality. Every year I rediscover that I really can not do everything that I want to do. My priorities cross paths. First, I am a mother of 5 kids, 10 years to 2 years. This is my job. My summer's here are especially hard. My kids want to be at the camp having fun all of the time. I understand that, because that is my desire too. Reality is that I have a hard time having them tow the line when we are over there. They are, after all, kids. Ben and I have set up guidelines that we feel are appropriate for camp. Duh things really, the kids can not be in a building without either Ben or I, they are not to interfere with a counselor or their cabin at any time, and so on. Not really anything unattainable. The problem is enforcing it consistantly with all 5 kids. The older ones get it, they also like to push the envelope. The little ones do not get it. I really don't expect them to. When it is difficult is when I am wanting to do something, or be somewhere at camp. I help with registration. I help in the bookstore. I like to talk to Sarah, and Joy. I like to see how the counselor's are doing. I like to help with crafts. All of these times is when the kids just seem to scatter before I can even think! My best solution is to get frustrated, pack up and go home. This usually leads to me being frustrated and hurt that I am limited in what I can do. I just need to be able to balance better. I need to be able to lay down the law, and follow through with it. I need to understand that this may not be the year that I get involved greatly in the workings of camp. Funnily enough, I have this knowledge. I seem to have a problem making it sink in. I can't do everything. I am not super mom. It's not Ben's fault. He is already busy. I only hope that I can remember all of these things in a week, when I am getting busy and stressed out. Maybe I will just do what I should... continue to pray. My Savior knows my heart. He knows my abilities. He knows what I can or can't do. Trust Sarah. Trust that God will lead me. After all HE tells me to "Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and lead not on your own understanding. Acknowledge HIM in all your ways, and He will make your paths straight."

Comments

Popular Posts