I'm still here.

Well, I am here. I have to confess something. I have a Facebook page. This is somewhat addicting. I have a problem. I go on Facebook when I should be blogging. I feel like I have betrayed all of my fellow bloggers, and those of you who check my blog everyday. (Stan) I ask your forgiveness, and hope to even out my computer time from now on. Not just Facebook anymore.

Well on to what has been going on here.

Things have been hectic. Jonah is in flag football. We have been going camping often. Trying to see our families since we did not get to see them much this summer. Juggling Shaelynn in the hopsital, and trying to get to see her when the kids don't have runny noses. Trying to settle into the house. Answering the camp phone. Taking care of random office duties for camp. Just a lot of stuff.
Why is it that I think that I have to do it all and get everything accomplished in one day. Why do I do this to myself? It's not even that bad yet. Only Jonah is in an extra-curricular activity. Just wait for them all to be in something. How much is too much? Is it expected that if one does something, they all 5 get to do something? I want them to be able to experience things they are interested in, but I do not want to be that Mom that jsut drops them off and leaves. I want to watch them. I want to know how they do. My Mom did it somehow, I just need to figure it out.

On a lighter note, we are almost to Fiona's birthday. It is September 29th. I have to tell you that while the birth of each on my children was wonderful, Fiona's will always hold a special place in my heart. Fiona has 2 Aunt's whose Birthday is the 28th. Ben's sister Lauren, and my sister-in-law Samantha. Fiona was actually due on the 28th. Well, when the 28th came, I was feeling tired and grumpy. It was the last Saturday before my parents annual Hayride/Chili Dump. My Dad was frantic to make the Apple Cider that day. He called bright and early and asked Ben if he could help get apples. (We generally ask people for their apples as my parents apple trees are low producers) Well, I was not all to thrilled that he was going to be getting apples for part fo the day, and I was going to have Jonah and Lydia for the morning. Ben, being the wonderful husband he is said that he would take the kids with him. So, he did and I slept longer. By late morning I was feeling better, and went out to the folks to help with the cider. It took all afternoon, and it was such fun. Jonah and Lydia loved being a part of the action, and my Dad was so good at making them feel like they were great helpers. It was a long day. But we made more cider that day than we had in many years. Everyone was there and it was such a great day. We went home and slept good until about 4 am. I was starting to contract. We called my parents, took the kids out there around 5, and headed to the hospital. My parents taught a Sunday School class, so they had to go to church. We thought that it would be afternoon before we had a baby. We got to the hopsital. Things started progressing. Ben called my Mom's cell around 9:30ish, Mom, Bek and Joy came to the hosp. and were there with Ben Mom and sisters, when Fiona was born. They were in the hall outside my room and heard it all. (I am not a screamer) They laughed hard when Dr. Situmeang said, "huh, never had that happen before, the hips are stuck" (poor Fiona) So Fiona was born at 10:31 am. Weighing 8.1, 20 inches long. The first thing we noticed about her was that dimple she has. I will never forget my Dad coming in with Jonah and Lydia. He had picked them up from their S.S. classes and brought them to the Hosp. He walked in, Jonah and Lydia in tow, and told us how he had told Jonah that he had another sister. Jonah's response was "oh no Grandpa, another girl" But Jonah absolutely melted when he saw her, and said he was proud to have another sister.

I guess the thing that always gets me at Fiona's Birthday, is that she was the last baby born before he died. He was so proud of all of his grandkids, but there is something about how he was with Fiona. He would just take her from whoever had her. He just wanted to hold her all the time. His biggest challenge was to get her to sleep. One of her favorite places to sleep was his chest. She was of course too young to remember him, but how special it is to tell her how much he loved his Fia. (that's what he called her) He was an awesome Grandpa, and we miss him sorely. She loves to "remember" how he used to hold her. She knows how special he is to her. We keep pictures of Fiona and Grandpa Mike around so she can know the she was alive when he was. I am proud of that. I am proud that I have 3 kids that knew their Grandpa Mike.

Sorry this is so long and wrought with emotion, but honestly, this time of year is so special to me because of Fiona, and the Hayride, and making cider. All of these memories keep Dad close.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You need no forgiveness from me. I love your blog and delight in the light and the glow of your love as you share with us the workings of your heart and the events of your family. I see your blog as a gift given, I would never require it of you or expect it from you; I simply enjoy it and feel blessed when I find another offering. To recover the pictures in my mind of Mike holding Fionna makes me smile. These are the good things and thank you for reminding us. To see my son so blessed and loved is one of my greatest joys. With great affection, Papa Stan.
Sarah, I am so glad that you are writing again. I check the blog every day! I loved reading about your dad. What great memories! If you have a chance I would love to get in touch with Lauren. Love you all! Tasha
Kiki said…
I loved this post. I love that you have such great memories of your dad and that you are preserving those special memories of grandpa.
Anonymous said…
I think this Dr. Situmeang is the father of Danny and Carlyn. They were my campers during 6th grade week this year. They were great kids. I didn't know their dad delivered babies. That is so cool.
~Michael G.

Popular Posts