Mommy. Thats me.

I am Mom.  My job description is as follows:

1. Basic needs; Food, Clothing, Bed, Discipline, Hygiene, Manners, Spiritual Well Being.
This includes, but is not limited to:

Providing and preparing all meals.  Including healthy snacks, and well balanced meals that consist of all of the food groups in a interesting rotation, while encouraging new fruits and vegetables like squash, or star fruit, all while being the candy nazi, and putting the kibosh on sweets in excess.

Providing and maintaining proper clothing, while not falling for or allowing yourself to be swayed by the 8 year old that maintains that "every other girl in my class wears a bra, why can't I?"  Or the 6 and 4 year olds that insist that all clothing (excepting undies) are optional.  Maintaining a balance between who fits in what each season, and dispensing those articles that will not do, to those cousins that they will now fit, all amidst the tears of the child that insists that "those shorts do fit Mommy!" even though you can see panties.  All while maintaining a wash schedule of at least 3 loads a day, not including towels or sheets.

Providing and maintaining a room for a bed, with the coordinating bedding and walls, with the extra touches like the lava lamp, or the 14 die-cast cars.   While encouraging the placement of the aforementioned dirty or clean clothes in the proper receptacle, and encouraging (or just doing it) the picking up the constant scattering of toys, books, shoes, and all other paraphernalia that ends up in the room.

Discipline. A difficult task at times, it requires you to have a tough hide.  An amount of patience is also a necessity.  You will encounter the tantrum in the grocery store. People will look at you to see how you handle it. They will glare if you threaten anything harsh, and they will glare at you if you ignore it.  You will have to endure the difficult task of eating out.  You will have to discover what discipline works on what kid.  You may have to use different forms for each kid.  You will have to be creative. If the copy-cat continues to bother the sibling, you may have to ask you copy catter to make a fist and stuff it in their mouth.  Or have the fighting sibs sit in a chair with arms around each other for a 1/2 hour, or until they decide they appreciate and accept each other.  You will be required to make the tough choices by yourself sometimes.  Back-up will not always be readily available.  Get tough, be patient and discipline! 
**Note: Your child will do the thing that you always said you would not allow your child to do.  Be real people. 

Teaching and encouraging the proper Hygiene.  This includes, teaching proper teeth brushing techniques, hand washing, nose blowing, bottom wiping, hand sanitizer using, hair brushing/fixing, showering or bathing, reminders on clean boxers and panties, socks, and for goodness sake let me wash those jeans!  Encouraging deodorant use to the 11 year old boy, and reminders that someone that age should probably shower daily.  All while trying to remember to brush your own teeth and hair, which frankly, you forget (or don't have time) more than you would like to admit.

Demonstrating and encouraging the proper manners, including saying Thank you to the bank teller who did not look at you or even politely nod when you pulled up to the drive though window.  Managing to say Please and Thank You in the most awkward situations.  Allowing the stranger with only one cart to go through the check out before you, reminding them that while saying your sorry while rolling their eyes is in fact not sorry at all.  Burping, passing gas, and armpit farts are not acceptable in any public place.... ever.  This rule applies to Dad as well.

Spiritual Well Being is one of the most important factors under "Basic Needs"  While it sometimes gets overlooked, it is in my opinion a major player in many of the other needs that have to be met.  This includes major participation from both Mom and Dad. Including praying aloud, praying in public, praying with each other, and for each other, edifying speech, loving an repentant hearts, Bible reading, as a family, as a couple, and by yourself, all while being visible by your children,  example is of utmost importance here.  Forgiveness. Humility. Compassion. Sanctification.  

These first 7 are the Pillars of Motherhood.
While these are the pillars, there are sub-categories to each of these.  Here is a short list...
Keeping the peace. Transportation. Safety. Carrying. Packing. Nap enforcer. "Discussion" Moderator. Reading. Homework. Cleaning. Sugar Police. Creativity. Curiosity. Healing kiss. Broken heart mender. Teaching. Photographer. Memory maker/rememberer. Hugging. Holding. Rocking. Sleepless nights. Poop. Vomit. Decorator. Protector. Prevention. Santa. Park. Singing silliness. Peer advisor. Stain remover. Attachment issues. Finder of the blankie, or attachment. Dish washer. Outside play. Extended family. Exercise. 

This is my life in a nut shell.  I assure you that there are many other facets to my life, none of which are more important than my relationship with my Saviour, my Husband, or my Children.  While this list may seem overwhelming, or difficult, trust me when I say that it is still and will always be a joy to me.  I know my purpose here on this earth is to make disciples.  Well, thankfully enough I happen to have 5 potentials right here in my home.  I can either do my best here, and reap the awesome rewards of my children knowing and following my Saviour, or I can get bogged down with my list of requirements and let it fester until I resent my kids, my Husband and my Lord.  I would much rather take on the brunt of work right now, for that awesome reward that awaits us in Heaven. 
To those of you with no children... take heart.  You have the tools.  I know that the list seems daunting, but God has given the tools to you.  It may take you a moment, but God pulls you through.  And we are here!  You know who we are, we are the people that you know with the small (or large) brood of children following behind.  We have been in your shoes.  Also, you can take comfort that while the first child is never easy, you are assured that you can at least take a nap with them if you need too.

Questions???  Feel free.  If you think that I am a crazy woman, you would be right!
Sarah

Comments

I love you. I love this post! I love your background.

That was hilarious and very real. Keep 'em coming... not that you have time!
buttercup said…
Wow I feel tired and inspired by your post!! the list is unending especially when all written out : ) however, you are right--- all the love, pain, joy, heartache, broken recordness, and being plain worn out is worth the hugs, kisses, drawings, dandelion bouquets, giggles, snuggles, and love.

Popular Posts