Thoughts about housekeeping.

Why is it that while we clean our bathroom, once, maybe twice a week, the goo continues to elude us? Seriously, I wiped down my sink and countertop, twice already this week, of all the kiddie toothpaste, and dirt from the random child standing on the counter in their muddy shoes to wash their hands. Why, in the 2 times I have done this, that today I again wipe down the grodiness, do I find that if I wipe the faucet with the water on, you will find a whole new area to wipe? Ewww! is all I can say. It's not that I neglect that area as a whole, I just never think about it while I'm doing it.
I also wonder why, as I clean out the medicine cabinet, does my beloved husband have and keep 3 deodorants? They all still have some "goodness" left. Why not totally use them up? Why also do we have refill razor blades that fit nothing? I realize this one is probably on me, as he has not done shopping for himself in many moons, but seriously, why do I continue to buy refill blades for the old well used one, when I could buy him a Gillette sensor 3, and have 5 extra refills for him. I will not throw them away, I'm sure they cost me $7 at one time.
How many times a day should we vacuum? Should I even bother to put it away? How about the swiffer? Really. How many times a day is too many? I did it 3 times yesterday, and I felt like that was excessive. But when there is stuff on the floor, who wants to walk in it?
Paint. Why do we purposefully paint every room white? Now, I know not all of us do, and I know that in the cases of renting and such, you are bound to have white walls, but for those of us who have a choice... why? I am going to start painting my house. I am thinking of painting each room a different color. Matching, but different. At least a little color. I am not insensitive to those who prefer white clean walls. There is a certain appeal to a clean, white, bright, room. I am just in a place that a clean, white, bright, room, is not gonna happen. Now, I have visions of the "Nantucket" type white room, with the chair rail, painted woodwork, maybe beadboard, beachy type of room, but not in the next 15 years, at least. And so, I will paint my basement "Lime Curl" and such, and love the liveness of it!
Is a carpet shampooer worth the investment? I feel like I would use it, but the $$? We currently rent the shampooer 2 times a year, or have the Stanley Steamer come visit, this gets pricey too. I seriously need to have it done soon!

Any thoughts?

Comments

A certain husband I know (WELL) was recently found to have 8 (that is EIGHT) partially used deodorants under his sink. (And 2 more in the upstairs bathroom! SERIOUSLY! That's ridiculous!)

All my rooms are different colors - none of them white. My living room is red :-) My bathroom is a spa-green, and my bedroom USED to be purple, until we moved upstairs. :-)

Also - I have borrowed a steam cleaner for the last time. I vow that next time I will just buy one, as I have threatened to do for some time now.

What I want to know is WHO decided that white was a good color for carpet?? And why didn't the people who invented stairs make a lever you could pull so that is became a ramp, or slide (like in the cartoons) so you could REALLY vacuum it well?
Anonymous said…
All of this is very interesting. Yes, indeed. I feel as if I'm reading a day in the life of Libby. I forget it is also a day in the life of Sarah, and every other momma out there! Your decorating is awesome, Sarah. Pick your colors and go for it. I know it will be great. I can't wait to see your new house! We bought a shampoo carpet thing and split the cost with Jason's parents. So we just take turns with it. Just an idea...
Love you! Libby
Anonymous said…
Sarah,
I have a carpet cleaner and I use it all the time. I love it. With all our animals and children it's worth it. Bissel is what I have, but I'm sure all are great. My walls were white when we moved it, but slowly all getting color on them. Right now Addison has crayon on her white walls. She had a great time when Mom wasn't looking. Hope you get all the things you want done finished. We are very slow, but still making progress.
-Megan Hulett

Popular Posts