Mom's Birthday

Today is my Mom's 65th Birthday.

My Sister Bekki planned a party for her tonight and asked our friends and family to send her a card or note.  The hope was to get 65 little notes :) I of course was unable to be at the party, so I wrote her this letter.  Enjoy!


Mom's Birthday

March 10, 1976  
A day you will soon not forget… Not necessarily because I entered the world, but also because it is a day that you experienced terrifying, adrenaline filled adventure!  I am certain that telling Dad that you were in labor was exciting enough, but to then realize that you were in fact at the pushing stage while still in the car on Highway 99 was sheer terror! Dad's response, ever so Dad, was to take matters into his capable cars hands! Speeding down that road, jumping the railroad tracks (is that true?) and being deposited at the emergency room doors without a moment to spare! I entered the world like a whirlwind, with Dad still parking the car!  Haha!

I don't really feel like I was your whirlwind child though…  oh I had my moments, my stubborn nature, my canny ability to lie to your face, my frequent emotional outbursts, yes, I have had my moments. I would say in general, I was an easy child. I am sure that you realize however, that I took it all in. I examined what was going on around me, not constantly, but more often than not. I remember great times, funny times, and yes, even hard times. 

We have had so many great times.  Life on the farm as a small child was filled with adventure, excitement and work. Toiling in the garden with you, hanging out laundry, petting and trying to catch all those farm cats, drinking iced tea on the back patio, you helping us make hay forts in the haymow, feeding the cattle, the list is really endless. I watched you with Tim, and Drew and finally Baby Joy. You were and are a fabulous mom.  This is my recipe if you will, of how you Mothered
Julies Recipe to Motherhood

1 part discipline
1 part fun goofy behavior
1 part memorizing scripture (wonder where all those tapes went?)
1 part Evie, Joni, and The Gaithers
1 part soft structure
20 parts love!

We have had lots of fun times.  Here are a few highlights in my brain
Christmas baking, riding on the hood of the car to the bus that day and saying, as we likely bickered, "Cut it with the negative waves baby" (To quote a classic movie, Kelly's Heros) Making me ride my bike to school after I had perpetually overslept, (horrifying then, funny now) You graciously allowing me to traverse through the huge library of our family archives, (This is funny to Ben and everyone else, but just plain fun to me) Canning corn, strawberry jam, and tomato's. Trick or treat with you, such a great sport.  You enjoyed dressing up with us! You playing along with Dad and his silly little jokes on us (seriously, I was probably 12 before I realized that you were not the skier in the poster!)

And oh the hard times.  Transitioning from the farm to a shell of a house that needed major renovations. Hanging on for the ride that was our yard (Jule, it will look nice!) Countless hours covering your sinful children in agonizing prayer, Losing Dad, Shaelynn, and Adalyn. (Ugh my heart) And your Berbs moving to Texas. 

All these things Mom, I have watched and examined. I have watched your great times and noticed your joy in living in those moments. I have watched the funny times and marveled at your ability to let responsibility fly, to embrace the fun of life. I have watched and examined the hard times and am amazed how you have turned sorrow into joy. Watching you and Eddie love each other, my siblings and nieces and nephews, and my own family….. Oh Mom. You are a great Godly woman. To which you are, I am sure saying, "oh Sarah" but Mom, there really is not a Mom like you. You have embraced a God given life, with fun, joy and perseverance! Not many would be able to find love again, nor be able to be OK with Ben and I and your grandchildren, moving across the country, or find the joy in driving 12 hours at the drop of a hat to come visit us. We love you so much.


I get asked so often here in Texas, (the land filled with 2.1 children) "How do you do it? I mean, you have 5 kids?  My answer is always simple. "It's fun and it's what I know!  We have a ball, and this is how I was brought up! It's second nature!"  It's all those things because of your example. I have examined you. I have watched you. I have chose to follow in your footsteps. I can only hope and pray that I do it half as well as you did Mom.  I love you!  Happy Birthday!




















Comments

Popular Posts