It has been a bit crazy at times, but we're hanging in there!
May 24: A day I had been anticipating for a long time. Ben was flying home to help me pack! I took the day off, and picked him up at the airport. We had a nice lunch and after Ben spent some much needed time with our dog Lucky, we began packing. Ugh. I hate packing! The girls got home from school and were elated to see their Daddy after 6 weeks.
Our plan was to do as much packing as we could that weekend, and be prepared to move the weekend after the girls finished school. They were to get out on June 5, Lydia's Birthday. :) (a 13 year old!) Ben was scheduled to fly back to Dallas on the 28th, and we were going to make the best of our time.
May 26: We found out that Ben's stay was going to be extended. His work was installing a sign at the Blank Park Zoo, in Des Moines, and instead of flying up someone to install it, Ben would just stay until the 30th and install it.
May 27: Had an unusually early phone call from a friend in Amana. One of the Amana Farms employees had alerted Mike to the possibility of our home being in the path of the flooding that the area was experiencing. At the time we were told that the potential of the flood could be worse than in 2008, which was a 500 year flood, that no one thought could ever be repeated.
We made the decision then that our goal was to have everything packed that week, in the truck, ready to be driven to Texas. We were uncertain of how all the details were going to shake out, but we knew we needed to get our things packed up. ASAP. We packed, sorted, thew away, and repacked all day Monday.
May 28: We called in reinforcements. Dear friends and family came and helped us pack. We are so blessed to have such a wonderful group of friends.
Ben's Dad found us a truck on short notice and brought it out to the house. We then had a group of guys from our church come and help us pack the truck. Shout out to Veritas Church! We love you! We had the truck packed and ready to go by 8 pm, all while watching the river rise behind our home. It rose a lot that day. The river is about a mile behind our house, on a normal day, but by the end of the day on May 28, it was about 1/4 mile away.
With our home packed up and in a truck in our driveway, we had nowhere to go. My hope was for the girls to finish as much school as they could, so our dear friends and distant cousins who live in Amana, Mike and Tracy Williams, let our family stay in their home. We stayed there for 2 nights. We are so grateful for them!
May 29: Finished up some things and began moving things like kitchen cabinets and such upstairs. We also ran some errands and such. Luckily the buyer of our house was wonderful and understanding. We worked together to get everything on the upper level of the house as we continued to watch the water rise. By this time the water was lapping closer. Here is a picture: