Life Changing Experience

                                               This is Shaelynn Sue and Andrew at Family  Camp last year.


Life changing experience.
How many of us have had changes in our lives.  I can imagine that all of us have had them. Wether it is getting married, or having a child, or moving, there are a lot of changes that happen to us throughout our lives, but to have a life changing experience is something bigger I think.  
*Note that I may be totally wrong, just go with me for a second.  

First of all any change can be difficult.  Some changes can be great!  Change happens to us in all shapes and forms.  Generally, this is how if goes:  The change happens.  Whatever it is, it happens. We then go through the motions of dealing with the good or bad change.  We address it, and then prayerfully move forward.  (There is room for other steps in there if need be.)  We can then move forward with the change dealt with, and go on living the life with the change.  I know, it sounds so simple.  But we all probably know that the reality is, that any change, great or small, good or bad, is difficult.

Change however, has a totally different side to it as well.  There are these things that we call life changing experiences.  There are many forms to a life changing experience as well.  Good, bad, big, small, they happen.  These are the ones that I have a difficult time grasping and accepting. Like any other change, they happen, you deal with it, but it is the moving on that brings it to a halt.  
It is hard to imagine my life going on with some life changes.  Difficult things happen.  Losing a loved one is one of those things that happen in life.  When someone near and dear to us dies, you go through the "normal" change things.  You go through the motions of dealing with it, and then, when you would normally move forward, you are lost.  The question is how can I go on? What shape will my life take now?  The reality is that your life may never be the same.  
I know that the reality is that my Dad passed away.  My brother and Sister-in-law lost their baby girl. There are any number of you who have lost a loved one.  As children of an almighty, loving Father, we can have the knowledge that God was in it. I know that God has a number of days for each of us. I have seen first hand how it has brought people closer to Christ.  I have certainly grown in my faith.  
It is not an easy lesson to learn, but I know that God uses these life changing experiences to do just that:  change our lives.  Our very selfish, sinful lives.  Look out of the box for a moment. Think about someone you know who has lost a loved one.  What have they had to sacrifice? What have they had to learn?  They have had to learn how to lean on God for the welfare of the loved one.  To truly put God's child back into his hands.  This is an amazing thing!  That God gives us the power, and the choice to put our faith in and on Him.   Is it easy?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  You tend to want to fight it with all of your being, but God is there.  He loves us and if we seek Him, He will help us through anything.  
I am going to share something with you that is difficult, but incredibly awesome.  When Shaelynn was diagnosed with cancer our whole family was in an agonizing distress.  I know for me, the question to my Father was, "You took away my earthly father, why this?  Why now?"  I think that this was the question for a lot of us.  That question will never really be answered, but we know that God has a purpose.  We see glimpses of it.  Drew and Samantha are one of those places for me.  After my Dad passed away (5 years ago tomorrow) one of the "purposes" was clearly evident in my brother Drew.  He had a life changing experience.  He became a man of God, that made me so proud.  He and his beautiful wife Samantha continue to make me proud. They took the diagnosis of Shaelynn's cancer with the full knowledge that God was in control. This remained clearly evident throughout Shaelynn's battle, and sad passing.  During the time in their lives that was clearly the most difficult thing that they would endure, they had praises on their tongues.  During a beautiful funeral, for a beautiful sweet girl, there was a point that the congregation was singing.  As we sang, Drew, in his God given strength, stood up to praise His Savior.  The Savior who just claimed His child Shaelynn.  I get goose bumps thinking about it.  God Bless Drew and Samantha and their strength and courage.  
Life change happens.  How are you going to handle it?  I know that I choose to prayerfully and gracefully deal with it.  Bumps and all.
I think of this old hymn a lot.  I do not know where I have heard it before, or why it comes to me, but it does

He Giveth More Grace

He giveth more grace when the burden grows greater, 
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;  
To added affliction He addeth His mercy, To multiplied trials His multiplied peace.

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure, His pow'r has no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus He giveth and giveth and giveth again.

When we have ehausted our store of endurance, 
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

His love has not limit, His grace has no measure, His pow'r has no boundary known unto men; For our of His infinite riches in Jesus He giveth and giveth and giveth again.

Pray for my family tomorrow.  It has been 5 years since Dad went to be with his Savior, and Mom and Bek and maybe Samantha are coming up to visit Joy and I here at camp.  We have spent every year together and I do look forward to the time.  It is just that this year seems that much harder for me with Shaelynn and all.  I don't know... I still feel great sadness even though I know that God is here and working.  Sorry for the long blog.  Gotta get it out though.  I feel like I was kinda all over the place.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Sarah,
I have thought of you so much this week...I know it is a hard time. I'm praying for you! So glad your girls are coming. Loved reading how good God is...even when things are bad. You are fulfilling His purpose in seeing that. I love you! Libby
Kiki said…
You brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful.

Popular Posts